In just two years, nail art has become one of the most popular ways to express yourself through fashion and beauty.
You can choose from any number of colors, designs, or textures, each of which looks better than the last. While 2017 may have been the year of over-the-top glitter manicures and bright colors, there are even more chic nail art designs in store for 2022!
The ombre nail art design is so popular right now because it looks great on everyone. It works well with just about any color and can be completed in a few minutes. If you want to try this look, here are some steps:
- Paint your nails the base color of your choice, then paint the tips of each nail in a lighter shade.
- Apply two coats of the lighter color at an angle.
- Using a Q-tip, wipe off some of the top layers of polish from your nails to create an uneven effect that appears natural.
- Finish by applying a top coat to seal everything in place and protect your design from chipping or smudging.
- If you have time before heading out the door, grab a pair of tweezers and pluck any stray hairs growing near your cuticles!
Gradient nails are one of the most popular nail art designs, and their popularity doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. But if you’re looking for something new, consider trying a metallic gradient! To achieve this look, paint your base color on all but one fingernail.
Then use a metallic polish in the same tone as your base color and paint across the top of your nails. Let it dry completely before painting it over with a clear top coat. The result is an elegant take on the classic gradient nail design!
Fading is one of the most popular trends in nail art, and it’s still a go-to design. It’s super chic and also easy to recreate at home! If you’re looking for some new ideas, we’ve rounded up our favorite designs that are sure to impress.
The classic diagonal fade – This look is perfect if you want something simple that will stand out on your nails because it doesn’t have a lot of detail. Start by painting your nails with two different colors and then let them dry before going in with an art brush to create a diagonal line across each nail.
Add some acrylic paint over the line to add dimension or even use a glitter polish on top of the other color for an extra pop! Another option is to switch up the design so instead of painting both colors straight down, try starting with a clean base and only dipping one side of your nail into another color before doing the same step on the opposite side (you can even do half and half!). Make sure everything has dried first so it stays put!
The more detailed diagonal fade – If you like more detail in your nails, try adding tiny lines diagonally from near your cuticle towards the end of each nail for this creative design. For added impact, fill these lines in with either another color or acrylic paint after they’ve dried!
The chevron trend, which was big in the early 2000s, is back with a vengeance. It’s been spotted on everything from shoes to furniture, and now nails! Just paint two stripes of color down your nail bed and voila! You have a stylish new manicure that you can wear anywhere.
Chevron stripes are perfect because they’re so easy to do: just pick two colors (or more!) and paint them down your nail bed. Paint the first stripe on one side of your nail bed, then paint the second stripe directly across it to create a chevron effect. Voila!
Watercolor is a technique that uses water and pigment to create an image on paper. The medium is not just limited to paper. You can use it on other surfaces such as wood, fabric, and even nails! With the right technique, you’ll be able to make your own design that’s perfect for your mood or outfit!
- Prepare your nails by shaping them and removing any old polish with a cotton pad soaked in nail polish remover.
- Put a small amount of nail polish remover onto the painting surface and dip the brush into it.
- Get some paint onto the brush by either dipping it back into the bottle or adding another drop of water from the top of the bottle onto it.
- Paint two lines of paint diagonally across the nail, one going each direction – up left and down right, or down left and upright.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until you’ve covered all four sides of your nails with diagonal lines.
- Let the first layer dry then add more layers until you have achieved the desired color intensity and coverage.
- Apply a thin layer of clear polish over the design for shine and protection.
- Let dry then apply a second coat to seal in the design so that it lasts longer!
Cute animal print
Nails have been a popular way to express yourself, and nail art has grown in popularity in recent years. One trend that seems to be sticking around is animal prints. They come in many different types of prints, including leopard print, zebra print, cow print, cheetah print, and tiger print.
The most popular nail designs are usually made with either a white or black base coat on the nails and then with the animal design printed on top of it. If you want a chic and cute manicure that is perfect for any occasion, this may be the perfect one!
The sunburst design is a fun nail art design to try out. It requires three different colors of nail polish and a dotting tool. The first step is to paint your nails with one color on the tips of your nails, and then paint the rest of your nails with a second color. Then use a dotting tool dipped in the third color to make tiny little dots all over the surface of your nails. You can make them as small or large as you like; it’s up to you!
The trend in nail art this year is minimalism, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still be chic. Clean nails are always a good idea, especially when you want to show off your outfit, not how long you spent on your nails. For a minimalist look, start with a thin line of white polish and then swipe the rest of the nail with matching color polish. If you’re feeling more adventurous and want to add some dimension to your nails, try making half moons at the base of your nail or adding stripes at the tip.
1) Half Moon: Start by painting one side of your finger white, then draw an arc (or half moon) onto it with white polish. Paint it again in dark blue or black. Once it dries, paint a stripe of clear top coat over the design to seal it. Add rhinestones and flowers if desired.
2) Striped Tip: Paint your nails with either light pink or peach-colored polish. Next, paint stripes down the tips of each nail with either hot pink or deep purple-colored polish. Finish up by adding rhinestones as desired.
3) Minimalist Gradient: When you need a touch of sparkle without being too flashy, opt for gradient nails! In order to get this look, use two colors; one for each side of the nail. Apply the darker shade to the outer edges of your nails first, allowing a slight amount of space between each brush stroke. Afterward, apply lighter shades in between those strokes until you reach the center of the nail. Then repeat this process with a different color combo on every other finger until they all match.
4) Triangles: To create triangles like these all you’ll need is three shades—a light tan cream, a pastel mint green, and a dusty pink cream—along with metallic gold polish and glitter glue or acrylic gems. Apply medium coats of each color on alternate fingers starting with tan cream at the base and moving upward before finishing with dusty pink cream at the top pointy end.
Nails have gone from being a basic necessity to an accessory. The beauty industry has not only created more and more nail polish colors but also more nail art designs. This can be seen in the fact that there are about a million different Instagram accounts devoted to nothing but nail art. We’ve selected eight of our favorites, and hope this list will inspire you to take on some new nail art designs in the coming year!
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.