Who doesn’t love chocolate? A chocolate bomb combines everyone’s favorite flavor with a soft and gooey treat, creating the best dessert ever.
The recipe for hot chocolate bombs calls for just four ingredients, including cocoa powder, butter, powdered sugar, and mini marshmallows, which you can easily find at your local grocery store.
Once you learn how to make hot chocolate bombs, you’ll never want to stop eating them!
What are Hot Chocolate Bombs?
These adorable little cups of cocoa are perfect for holiday parties and wintertime get-togethers. They’re also great to have on hand when you need a quick chocolate fix in your cupboard or as an easy gift idea. The recipe is simple: just pour hot milk into mugs, drop in chocolate chips, and top with whipped cream. As you can see below, there are some variations that can be made to make them even more delicious!
What You’ll Need?
- -2 cups of water
- -(1 stick) of butter
- -1/4 cup of milk (cow’s milk, almond milk, coconut milk)
- -2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- -1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- -1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- -Pinch of salt
- -Optional: 1 tablespoon sugar, whipped cream, mini marshmallows.
- Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add 1/3 cup (1.33 oz) of flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is golden and smells like toast. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in 1-1/4 cups (10 oz) of milk, and then add 3 ounces of semisweet or dark chocolate chips or pieces to melt. Continue cooking until it starts to bubble up and then remove from heat; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl stir together 4 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder until smooth. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture. If the batter looks too thin, slowly add more cocoa powder until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour into paper muffin cups lined with foil liners or sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until the tops are dry and cracks form on the surface when gently pressed down. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack. Makes 24 servings.
Why Do They Work So Well?
These Hot Chocolate Bombs are really simple to make and they’re perfect as a sweet treat. They work so well because they’re rich, chocolatey, and easy to eat without worrying about spilling hot liquid everywhere.
Final Thoughts and Tips
This recipe is perfect for any holiday party or gathering and will be enjoyed by both kids and adults. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover candy canes from Christmas. If you need to make them ahead of time, I would recommend double-bagging them with cellophane before freezing so that they don’t stick together. I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does!
They are best served warm in mugs with marshmallows on top (definitely not optional). And if it’s your first time making this type of recipe, don’t forget to have fun experimenting with different flavors. My personal favorite is peppermint bark hot chocolate bombs!
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.