There are people who only follow the popular trends, and then there are people who create them. Crafts are a great way to get creative, express your innermost self, and create things that will help you build connections with other people and do good in the world. However, if you’re new to crafting, it can be hard to know where to start. Here are 5 simple yet impressive wooden crafts that even beginner crafters can master with ease.
If you’re looking for some fun and easy wooden crafts to make, here are five great ideas to get you started. These projects are perfect for beginner crafters, and they’ll also make great gifts or home decor items. So let’s start:
- For this project, you’ll need a piece of wood (I used a 4×4 piece of cedar), a jigsaw, sandpaper, coasters (I used these cork ones), Mod Podge, and a paintbrush.
- Start by drawing a heart shape onto your piece of wood. Then, use the jigsaw to cut out the heart.
- Once your heart is cut out, use sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges.
- Next, apply a layer of Mod Podge to the top of the coaster. Then, place your heart shape on top of the coaster and press down gently.
- Allow the Mod Podge to dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Paint over the entire coaster with one coat of Mod Podge or two coats of acrylic paint.
- Let dry overnight, then add felt pads to the bottom so that they can be used as a coaster!
These are perfect for Valentine’s Day but also any time during the year!
These are so simple to make, and you can really get creative with the design. All you need is a thin piece of wood (I used balsa wood, but anything similar would work), some sandpaper, paint, and a clear sealant. I first sanded down the edges of the wood to make sure they were nice and smooth.
Then I painted on two coats of white paint, letting it dry in between. Once that was dry, I drew on my design with a black Sharpie. You could also use a wood-burning tool for this step. Finally, I sealed it with a clear coat to protect the design. And that’s it! These bookmarks make great gifts or can be sold at craft fairs.
DIY Floating Candles
For this wood craft, you’ll need a few things: a log (or slice of log), a drill, tealight candles, and some strong fishing line. First, use the drill to make a hole in the center of your log. Then thread the fishing line through the holes of the tealights and tie knots to secure them. Finally, place the tealights in the holes of the log and light them – voila! You’ve got yourself a beautiful, homemade decoration.
This is really simple woodcraft that even beginning crafters can make. All you need is a piece of wood (I used a 1×4), some sandpaper, a drill, wood glue, and something to finish the wood with (stain, paint, etc.). I first sanded down my piece of wood to make sure it was smooth.
Then, I drilled four holes evenly spaced out. Next, I stained the wood (I used a dark walnut stain). Once the stain was dry, I glued on some small hooks. And that’s it! This project took me less than 30 minutes to make and it cost less than $10. It would be a great gift idea or an addition to your desk.
Rustic Pen Stand
This rustic pen stand is a great way to show off your woodworking skills while also being functional. It’s a quick and easy project that only requires a few supplies, and it’s perfect for beginners. You’ll need: 3/4-inch thick wood board
- Two 1/2 inch thick wood boards
- Drill with drill bit (1/8 inch)
- Wood screws (1 inch)
- Drill with drill bit (3/8 inch)
- Drill bit holder -saw or jigsaw
- Fine grit sandpaper
Start by cutting the 3/4 inch board into three 12-inch pieces and two 5 1/2-inch pieces. Sand down the edges of all of the pieces until they are smooth. Now take one of the 12-inch pieces, one of the 5 1/2-inch pieces, and two of the remaining 12 inches and screw them together in an L shape using 2 screws on each side for support.
Take another 12-inch piece and place it on top to form a square base for the stand by screwing in 4 screws from each side. Repeat this process with the other 5 1/2 in the piece to create another L shape that will act as a frame around your base frame. Drill holes at various angles so you can attach everything together more easily. The next step is attaching these two frames to the bottom frame you created earlier.
Drill a hole through the corner where both frames meet and then use the 3/8 inch drill bit to bore out holes for your screws at about every four inches along both frames, making sure not to hit any pre-existing holes. Screw these pieces in tight enough so that there is no give but not too tight because you want some movement in case someone bumps into it. Once all of these corners have been screwed on tightly, use the same technique to attach one last frame onto the backside of your stand using either screws or nails so that there is no chance it could come apart later.
Finally, measure and cut six dowels to 1 foot long. Cut a notch in the center of one end of each dowel with your saw or jigsaw. Then place all six dowels into their respective drilled holes (the center should be lined up with where the other two pieces intersect). Use a hammer if necessary to get them snugly seated inside the holes and once you’re done, put a finish coat of paint on if desired!
What craft can I make with wood?
- A simple yet elegant wood-carved serving tray.
- A set of coasters with intricate designs.
- A rustic-chic picture frame.
- A hand-painted wooden jewelry box.
- A personalized cutting board
What can you make with wood easy?
- A simple wood frame is easy to make and can be used to display photos, artwork, or even a mirror.
- A wooden box can be used as storage or decoration and can be made in any size.
- A cutting board is a necessity in any kitchen, and a wooden one will last longer than one made from plastic.
- A set of coasters is always appreciated as a housewarming or hostess gift, and they’re quite easy to make.
What can I make from wood to sell?
- Wooden keychains are a simple but charming craft that can be made quickly and easily. Just cut out a shape, sand the edges, and add a key ring!
- Another quick and easy option is to make coasters out of wood slices. You can find pre-cut wood rounds at most craft stores, or you can cut your own from a log. Once you have your wood rounds, just sand the edges smooth and add felt pads to the bottom to prevent scratching furniture. Then stain them any color you like with a water-based stain before sealing them with polyurethane. Add embellishments like glitter glue, buttons, etc., if desired.
- Wood jewelry is also an affordable project -just look up tutorials on YouTube or Pinterest and follow their instructions!
What can you make with wood for kids?
- A simple birdhouse is a great project for beginning woodworkers. Just a few cuts and some paint are all you need to create a fun home for your feathered friends.
- A custom cutting board is perfect for the home chef who loves to cook. You can find pre-made boards at your local home improvement store, or you can make your own with just a few pieces of wood and some elbow grease.
- Wooden picture frames are a classic way to display your favorite photos. Pick up an unfinished frame from your local craft store, then sand and stain it to match your decor.
- If you have any scrap wood lying around, why not try turning it into this lovely wooden candle holder?
How do you make a wooden ring?
Making a wooden ring is a simple process that only requires a few supplies. To start, you’ll need a piece of wood that’s been cut into a ring shape. You can either use a pre-cut ring or cut one yourself with a saw. Once you have your ring, sand the edges smooth to make sure it’s comfortable to wear. Next, apply a finish to the wood to protect it and give it a nice shine. There are many types of finishes available, so experiment until you find one that suits your tastes.
If you’re not up for cutting out a new ring from scratch, there are also premade rings available on Etsy and other craft sites. Just be aware that these rings won’t come in as many shapes or sizes as homemade ones will.
How do you make wood jewelry?
To make wood jewelry, you will need a saw, a sander, a drill, wood glue, clamps, and paint or varnish. First, cut your wood into the desired shape with the saw. Next, use the sander to smooth any rough edges. Then, drill a hole in the top of the piece for strings. Apply glue to both surfaces of the hole, and clamp the two pieces of wood together until dry. Finally, paint or varnish the piece as desired.
Not only is woodworking a fun hobby, but it can also be very rewarding. There are a variety of things that you can make with wood easily, including picture frames, birdhouses, storage boxes, and more. With a little patience and practice, anyone can learn how to make these simple yet impressive wooden crafts.
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.