Tortilla pizza might not be your first thought when you want to make something new for dinner, but it should be! From chips and salsa to fajitas to quesadillas, tortillas are awesome at making any meal more interesting, and that’s even truer with these eight tortilla pizza recipes.
This one just might become your go-to Friday night meal!
How to Make Tortilla Pizzas?
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread the tortilla on a greased baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until browned, flipping halfway through. This step can be skipped if you’re using a pre-cooked tortilla.
- Spread your favorite pizza toppings, along with some cheese and spices of your choice, on top of the tortilla. You can also use ranch dressing as your sauce instead of tomato sauce!
- Return it to the oven for another 5 minutes or so, until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Slice into triangles and enjoy!
How to Give Them That Pie Texture?
There are a few ways to get the doughy and flaky texture of pizza dough in tortillas. One way is by cooking them with a little oil in a pan until crispy and then topping them with your favorite toppings, cheese, sauce, and bake. Another way is by using cornmeal as the crust of your tortilla pizza. Once you have cooked the tortillas until they’re crispy on both sides, you’ll top them with your ingredients before baking them in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until it’s bubbling.
You can also use flour tortillas instead of corn ones which will produce a slightly different flavor profile and gooeyness that you may love! No matter what type of tortilla you choose, remember that if you want more browning on your tortilla pizza, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
No-Cook Vegan Options
Curried Lentil and Broccoli Tofu Scramble – To make this recipe, heat a small pan over medium-high heat and add in the oil or vegan butter. Add in the onion, garlic, and ginger along with a couple of teaspoons of curry powder, then cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant. Next, add in the broccoli and lentils, season with salt and pepper, mix well, then allow it to cook for 5 minutes or until broccoli is slightly soft.
In another pan over medium-high heat, scramble your tofu with a bit of salt or soy sauce. Add it into the lentil mixture once done cooking. Mix well. Remove from heat and allow to cool before assembling your tortilla pizza! In this case, I suggest using plain ol’ quesadillas rather than tacos because they’re easier to fill and fold!
Start by laying down one whole wheat tortilla onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon on some of the lentil mixtures on top, spreading it evenly across the entire surface of the tortilla (I did about 3⁄4 cup). Then sprinkle some cheese (I used shredded sharp cheddar) as well as chopped tomatoes and onions all over that bad boy.
Sprinkle on some fresh herbs like basil, parsley, dill, or even oregano if you want to get fancy; they give off amazing flavors when baked in an oven. Pop the tray into the oven at 375°F for 10-12 minutes or until everything is heated through and the cheese has melted. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
Traditional Mexican Style
Crushed tomatoes, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Add shrimp or any seafood of your choice.
Onion, grated cheese (mozzarella), tomato sauce, oregano, and basil.
Spicy Cajun Style
Cajun seasoning with a little cayenne pepper for spice. Add red peppers and green onions if desired. Finish off with chopped fresh parsley. For an extra spicy kick, add diced jalapeño slices on top!
Chopped spinach, chickpeas, and some sliced olives are in the recipe too! Add more spices like garam masala powder to make it spicier. Top it off with chopped coriander leaves.
Tex Mex Style
Corn kernels, black beans, salsa (or use this recipe instead!), finely diced red onion, and some hot sauce added as well! Get creative by adding shredded chicken or beef too! Finish off by adding some fresh coriander leaves and you’re done! Perfect dish for a crowd!
This flavorful and fresh seafood pizza is topped with shrimp, scallops, mussels, and squid. It’s a great choice for a seafood lover who wants to mix it up at the next family pizza night.
The creamy sauce is made with garlic, onion, tomato paste, wine vinegar, and chicken broth. It’s not just there for flavor though—it helps keep the tortilla crust crispy! This recipe is vegetarian as well as gluten-free.
Mix in some chopped parsley and basil leaves to add an extra layer of flavor when you’re ready to top off your masterpiece.
If you love all things Tex-Mex, this recipe might be the one for you.
It’s got beans, corn kernels, peppers, and onions making it a complete meal on its own (though you could serve it alongside some rice or other side dish). Topped off with spicy salsa and cheese, this pie will definitely have everyone reaching for seconds.
It’s easy to put together too; don’t let the ingredient list intimidate you! All you need are three ingredients: flour tortillas, refried black beans, and cheddar cheese. Simply roll out your flour tortillas into thin circles then spread refried black beans evenly across them before topping them with grated cheddar cheese.
Bake these pies at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until they’re crisp around the edges but still soft inside (about 8 minutes). There are so many different variations that can make this simple recipe exciting too–serve these pizzas with avocado slices, sour cream, guacamole, or salsa on top if desired.
1. Zucchini, onion, and black beans: Add zucchini and onion on top of a tortilla pizza crust. Top with black beans, corn kernels, cilantro, and cotija cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the crust is browned.
2. Grilled Eggplant, Roasted Red Pepper, and Almond Ricotta Pesto: Grill eggplant rounds and red peppers. Combine almond ricotta with garlic cloves, chopped parsley, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Spread mixture onto one tortilla round then top with eggplant rounds and roasted red pepper slices. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until crust is browned on both sides of the crust.
3. Sweet Potato, White Bean, and Asparagus: Place sweet potatoes over a tortilla crust and top with cooked asparagus spears, sliced almonds, crushed tomatoes, olive oil, and fresh thyme leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned around the edges.
4. Crispy Chickpea Tikka Masala: Toss drained canned chickpeas in flour seasoned with garam masala spice blend; add tomato sauce; simmer for 15 minutes before topping this curry with Indian slaw mix of cabbage shreds mixed together with grated carrots, raisins (or diced apples), mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise), finely chopped fresh ginger root and fresh mint leaves.
The meat topping possibilities are endless with tortillas, but these 7 recipes will give you some inspiration. From sweet and spicy taco pizzas to classic pepperoni, throw a tortilla pizza party with all of your favorites.
Mexican Taco: Add ground beef and taco seasoning, and top it with lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
Strawberry Chicken: Add cooked chicken breast, diced strawberries, and green onions then top it off with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Bacon Ranch Chicken: Cook a package of bacon until crispy then set aside on paper towels. Crumble the bacon into pieces and mix in ranch dressing with cooked chicken breast then top it off with mozzarella cheese.
Baked Zucchini Pesto: Top thin slices of zucchini with pesto sauce, olive oil, salt, and fresh thyme. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and serve topped with feta cheese if desired.
Pizza Salad: Layer chopped spinach leaves over a bed of chopped romaine lettuce leaves then top them both with thin slices or crushed tortilla chips mixed with grated mozzarella or Parmesan cheese for crunch. Finish by drizzling balsamic vinegar or Italian salad dressing over the salad mixture before serving.
Baking Tools You’ll Need
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet or pizza pan
- Baking stone (highly recommended)
- Oven mitts
- Clean kitchen towel or oven mitt
- Cookie cutters for the toppings you want to use on your tortilla pizza
- Parmesan cheese, for topping after cooking.
Pizza night is a staple in every household, and it doesn’t matter if you’re a cheese lover or prefer your crust toppings. However, if you feel like you’ve eaten pizza too many times already this month, we have some unique tortilla pizza recipe ideas that will take your next pizza night up a notch.
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.