Love Taco Tuesday? Then you’ll definitely want to try this easy taco soup recipe! It’s bursting with all the same delicious flavors you know and loves in your favorite Mexican dishes, without taking up hours in the kitchen.
Make this quick and easy soup recipe on Taco Tuesday or any night of the week!
This easy taco soup recipe is perfect for those times when you want something that’s delicious and comforting but doesn’t take hours to make. Plus, it only takes about 10 minutes to prepare.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounces of canned tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into small squares
- one 8-ounce package of shredded cheese (I like cheddar)
- minced fresh cilantro-lime wedges
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and all the spices to the pot and stir together. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the corn kernels and shredded chicken; simmer for 5 more minutes or until the soup is heated through.
- Garnish with sour cream, avocado slices, cilantro leaves, and tortilla chips if desired. Top with cheese, salsa, and/or guacamole as desired. Serve hot.
- If you don’t have any leftover chicken, use two cans of cooked white meat chicken and skip step 3.2
- To make this vegetarian, omit the chicken altogether or use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for a vegetarian version of this recipe.
- For heartier Mexican flavors, add a can of diced green chiles
- To the soup before adding tomatoes and spice mixture in step 1. You can also mix up the garnishes by topping your soup with your favorite Mexican toppings: diced tomatoes, fresh lime juice, black beans, corn kernels, sliced jalapenos, crumbled queso fresco, etc.
Other Possible Additions
Taco soup is the perfect quick and easy dinner for nights when you don’t have much time. You can make it on the stovetop or in the crockpot for even more simplicity. Add some cornbread on top and you’ve got yourself a meal that’s sure to hit the spot!
Use ground beef or turkey instead of ground turkey. Substitute black beans for pinto beans. Add shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado slices, or olives to individual bowls before serving. Make your taco soup less spicy by reducing the chili powder and cayenne pepper amounts by half.
Some of our readers recommended topping off their tacos with low-fat sour cream, which sounds like an excellent addition! Another suggestion was adding two cans of hominy – either regular hominy or buttered hominy – in addition to the corn. We recommend experimenting until you find what tastes best for your family.
Taco soup is so easy to whip up that you can make it in as little as 10 minutes. Not only is this recipe delicious, but also it’s full of good-for-you ingredients, such as lean ground beef, tomatoes, and onions. And the best part? The leftovers taste even better on the second day!
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.