What’s the first thing you notice when you walk into someone’s home? Is it their furniture? Their appliances? Their artwork? If you’re looking to make your space pop, unique wall art can be the key to making your home or office stand out from the crowd.
With so many different materials, patterns, and styles out there, it can be tough to decide which pieces to buy and which pieces to leave on the store shelf. Fortunately, we’re here with nine must-try modern wall art ideas that will help you take your space to the next level in no time at all!
Use your wall color as inspiration
If you have a bright wall color like yellow or orange, try using light colors like a white and pale blue. If your wall is green or purple, try mixing it with browns, grays, and beiges. And if your wall is pink or red, create an eclectic mix of prints and colors. For example, use the opposite wall color as a complementary backdrop and select art that has vibrant hues to balance out the room.
For instance, we suggest pairing shades of cool greens with dark navy blues for lighter spaces, warm oranges with a deep burgundy for darker spaces, or light yellows with rusts for neutral spaces. Once you’ve decided on a color palette, look through our selection of modern wall decor ideas to find something that reflects what inspires you!
Add pops of color
Adding pops of color will help brighten up a space. The right hue can make all the difference in your home. For example, if you want to make your room feel more welcoming, try decorating with warm colors such as yellows and oranges. If you want a more modern design, opt for cool colors like blues and purples. But whatever color scheme you choose, keep it cohesive. It’s also important to pay attention to texture.
Combining different materials can be just what your space needs! Finally, be sure not to overcrowd your walls—white walls are often best for a clean look that won’t compete with other details in the room. Remember that white is actually one of the hardest colors to paint and shouldn’t be used on large surfaces (i.e., an entire wall). Experimenting with color is always fun but take some time before committing so you know how it’ll affect your mood at home day in and day out.
Use different textures and materials
Modern wall art ideas are all about creating a space that pops and draws your eye in. One way to make a statement with your walls is by using different textures and materials. For example, you can contrast the two materials by juxtaposing contrasting textures on the same wall, such as a light smooth textile against a rough brick or wood wall. You can also use materials of different colors or finishes for an interesting and unique look.
Hang metal sheets on the wall, displaying them at angles. These metal sheets will create a three-dimensional effect and add texture. Try applying different materials to one surface of the room, like painting half the room a dark color and then adding 3D patterns onto one side with fabric paint or wallpaper. If you’re worried about how expensive this type of work might be, remember that you can always try it out first before investing in any materials!
Get creative with empty space
Wall art is a great way to liven up any space and make it feel more personal. It adds a statement that you want your guests or family members to see as soon as they walk into the room. It also can be an artistic expression or something that reminds you of your favorite place. Below are nine unique ways to get creative with empty space in your home and make it look beautiful:
Wall Mirror – Hang a mirror on the wall in order to make the space feel bigger and brighter. The mirror reflects light and opens up the room, making it feel like there is more than just one dimension. Mirrors are also great for adding some natural beauty because they create an illusion of water by reflecting images from around the room.
Paintings – Paintings are another fun option for displaying art. You can hang them horizontally on the wall or vertically across two opposing walls (depending on their size). Try selecting a theme such as different cities, famous people throughout history, animals, seasons of the year, famous artwork and so much more!
Wall Shelves – Use empty space in your bedroom or living room to display bookshelves or decorative shelves. Add colorful plants to create life inside your house which will help bring down stress levels while improving air quality.
Mirrored Ceiling – Place mirrors on your ceiling in order to make your room seem larger and taller while giving off gorgeous reflections at all times.
Showcase your favorite items
- A set of hand-painted vintage suitcases with a gallery wall
- An oversized map of your city or favorite place in the world
- A mixed media piece that you’ve made yourself, like collages and paintings on canvas
- Silver or gold foil stars or moons hung from your ceiling or around the perimeter of your room
- Gold foil decals on plain white walls (great for kids’ rooms)
- A modern vase full of fresh flowers
- Light bulbs with metallic finishes are hung on the wall
- Three large framed photographs of people close to you.
- Framed black-and-white photos make an elegant statement in any space.
Use your walls for functionality as well as for decoration by adding things like hooks or a wall desk. You can also add wainscoting and change the material from the original paint color on top to the new one. This can provide that new modern look while still maintaining some of the originality of the house.
Another idea is to paint your lower section of the wall with chalkboard paint so you can write inspirational messages, make lists, or display important notes in a designated area. Finally, explore different textures on your walls through wallpaper, fabrics, or even temporary items such as pinboards or magazines. Be careful when selecting these materials though because they can cause damage over time if not removed properly.
Frame your view of the city
Wall art is a great way to add visual interest and personality to your space. Whether you’re looking for an accent piece or the focal point of your room, there are tons of options in all styles and price points that will fit the bill. Here are nine modern wall art ideas that will make your space pop!
Frame Your View in the City: One of the best ways to use modern wall art is by framing your view in the city. By incorporating something like a framed map or skyline print, you can tie together two parts of the room. This can be done by matching the map with another item on the wall or selecting prints in complementary colors. These pieces give you the opportunity to highlight a view that’s specific to where you live and show off your unique location.
Add personality to blank walls
- Hang up posters of your favorite musicians, movies, books, or TV shows.
- Add framed family photos or happy moments in your life.
- Frame one of your favorite quotes and display it on the wall with a smaller frame around it.
- Add a message board to create an interactive space for guests to write messages. – Hang paintings from well-known artists.
- Collect fun vinyl records and display them as part of a gallery wall.
- Display bookshelves filled with reading material that inspires you. – Use a group of postcards or photographs cut out into circles to make abstract art on the wall.
- Create custom wallpaper by using images from your Instagram feed, creating collages out of magazines, or using photos from when you traveled abroad.
Add geometric shapes
Geometric shapes are a modern design elements that can be used in a variety of ways. Here are nine creative uses for them:
1. In the living room, place some geometric shapes on the walls and lay them out on the floor as rugs. This will create an interesting feel in the space. Use contrasting colors to bring attention to the rug, such as yellow or pink with black or blue. Use contrasting colors so that they pop when you walk into the room.
2. Cover your bookcases with geometric shapes: To give a clean and sleek look to your bookcase while still showing off your eclectic taste, cover it with geometric shapes of all sizes. For example, use large rectangles on one shelf and small triangles on another shelf. The result is stylishly different from anything else in your home!
3. Give new life to old furniture by adding geometric shapes: Just because you’ve got an older piece doesn’t mean you need to get rid of it; just give it new life!
There are so many ways that you can mix and match these modern wall art ideas for a space of your own. Whether you’re looking for something fresh, minimalistic, or something with a little more color, there’s a perfect option waiting for you!
Also, check out the latest articles “Wall art for living room” and “Wood wall art“
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.