Funnel cakes are popular at fairs, carnivals, and state and county fairs, but they’re not something most people would think of making at home.
Well, if you want to surprise your friends with this delicious sweet treat, then you should know that it’s not difficult to make funnel cakes yourself! In fact, this recipe only calls for four ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen right now! Here’s how to make the best funnel cake recipe ever!
- 1-quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (for dredging) -6 fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- Powdered sugar (to top the funnel cakes with)
Preparation and Steps
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt.
2. In a medium saucepan, add the butter, milk, and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the dry ingredients all at once to the boiling liquid, stirring with a wooden spoon until it forms into a ball of dough. Allow it to cool for 1 minute before adding in eggs one at a time while stirring vigorously with your wooden spoon.
3. Roll out the dough on parchment paper or wax paper (do not use flour) until it’s about 1/4 inch thick and cut shapes with cookie cutters or just use your hands to form them into circles.
4. Place them onto the preheated griddle with plenty of cooking spray, flipping when they’re browned on both sides.
5. Remove from the griddle.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to quickly drop the batter onto the hot griddle. The shape will spread out into a thin circle.
7. Cook on each side for 2 minutes.
8. Finish off by rolling funnel cakes in powdered sugar.
9. To rewarm funnel cakes place them in an oven set at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. Serve immediately as is or with your favorite toppings like strawberry syrup, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and icing.
Try different toppings
Toppings can really make or break a funnel cake. If you do not put enough toppings on top, then the sugary doughy goodness will get lost in the mix and taste bland. If you add too many toppings, then it will be hard to pick out anything but the first two layers of dough. The best way to ensure that your funnel cake has an excellent flavor is by adding just enough toppings to where you can still taste all of the different layers of dough and sugar.
My favorite way to eat a funnel cake is with powdered sugar on top and strawberries in between each layer of dough. The strawberries are sweet themselves, so they allow for more sugar in your dish without getting too heavy with any one topping.
You could also try blueberries, bananas, chocolate chips, or other fruit. Just remember that if you use fresh fruit like bananas or berries it will release juice which may leak through the bottom of your frying pan as it cooks; thus making a huge mess. It might be better to opt for something less juicy like applesauce!
For example, strawberry applesauce would make a great topping. You can even whip up your own funfetti batter recipe to coat the inside of the funnel cake with before cooking it up! I’ve found that this recipe tastes amazing when dipped into either vanilla ice cream or strawberry syrup. One of my friends told me about dipping hers into cinnamon honey butter – delicious!
Pour over pancakes or waffles for breakfast
Pancakes are often found on breakfast tables, but traditional pancakes aren’t the only option. Pour over pancakes or waffles for breakfast and add a little variety to your usual morning routine.
Pour-over pancakes are thin and crispy, similar to French crepes. To make these, combine milk and flour in a mixing bowl then whisk until it’s smooth. Add eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, and salt; whisk to combine then let the batter rest for 10 minutes before cooking on the stovetop or using an electric griddle.
Fill the pancakes with toppings like fresh fruit and whipped cream if you’re looking for a sweet treat or berries and yogurt if you’re looking for something light. Pancakes are best-served piping hot so cook them one at a time on the stovetop or wait until they’ve finished cooking and stack them up together with more butter between each pancake before placing them in the oven to keep them warm.
If you want to cut back on calories, use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose white flour. Whole wheat flour will also give your pancakes more fiber! If you prefer thinner, more delicate pancakes that cook faster, use less egg whites.
And if you have kids who refuse to eat anything other than chocolate cake for breakfast, this is a great way to sneak some fruit into their diet because there will be plenty of opportunities for healthy toppings when it comes time to pile them high!
Eating a funnel cake is one of the most delightful eating experiences you can have. It’s simple, sweet, and a delightful treat. The recipe I’ve given you today is the perfect one to make at home. It’s not too difficult and tastes just like the ones from your favorite carnival. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.