If you’re looking for the best pizza sauce recipe, this all-natural version is simple to make and delicious.
It has no sugar, no dairy, and no artificial flavors, so it’s perfect for vegans and anyone else with food sensitivities.
This pizza sauce freezes well too – so you can stock up on homemade pizza sauce and enjoy fresh toppings in minutes! Read on to learn how to make the best pizza sauce ever!
What You’ll Need
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- Two cloves garlic, chopped
- One can crush tomatoes or diced tomatoes – One bay leaf
- A half teaspoon of dried basil
- Half teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste – One pinch of red pepper flakes
- Three tablespoons of tomato paste
- A quarter cup of water
- Half cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
In a saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium-low heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt, pepper, sugar, basil, thyme, and oregano. Stir in Parmesan cheese if desired. You can store the pizza sauce in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
First things first you need to find the perfect pizza dough recipe! One of my favorite recipes is from. For this recipe, you will need all-purpose flour, active dry yeast, instant yeast (optional), kosher salt, olive oil, and water.
Combine the all-purpose flour and both yeasts in a large bowl then whisk together. Next, add 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 3/4 cup of lukewarm water then mix together with your hands or a wooden spoon until it forms a ball that is smooth but not sticky on your hands. If it’s too sticky add some more flour; if it’s too dry add some more water one tablespoon at a time till you get it right!
Tips and Tricks
- If you are going to use canned tomatoes, be sure and crush them a bit before adding them.
- Add in some water for a smoother sauce.
- If you want it spicier, add in some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Salt is your best friend when it comes to seasoning. Add salt early on in the process and taste as you go so that it doesn’t get too salty later on!
There are many variations of pizza sauce. For example, some people like to add oregano or basil while others use fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes.
You can add garlic or onions if you want a more savory taste. The best part is that you can make this recipe as spicy as you like by adding jalapeño peppers or chili peppers. If you’re not much for spice, omit the pepper altogether.
Each time I’m asked about my favorite pizza sauce, I always say It depends on what I’m cooking. Is it going on a meaty pie with sausage? Then it’s all about using tomato paste instead of crushed tomatoes. Do I have time for something slow-cooked? Then maybe some chopped-up fresh vegetables in red wine will be perfect!
Making your own sauce is easy and you can customize it to taste like something you already know. You’ll find that making your own sauce is easier than you thought, and it tastes so much better than anything store-bought.
Hi I’m Bilal Malik, a digital marketing and blogging expert holding years of experience.